Sunday 16th June- Hawes

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

geoffmorgan

Sunday 16th June- Hawes

Post by geoffmorgan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Dennis and I are doing a long steady ride to Hawes, leaving Knaresborough(Texaco garage on Boroughbridge Road) at 8am this Sunday.
Planned route-Grassington, Kettlewell, Buckden, over Fleet Moss to Hawes. Then Buttertubs Pass, Muker, Askrigg, Carperby, Castle Bolton, Wensley, Middleham, Masham, Ripon and home. Probably 2 stops en route. About 95 miles so we should be back by 5pm. Anyone else fancy this?
Geoff

Rick

Re: Sunday 16th June- Hawes

Post by Rick » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:33 am

Sounds like a good one Geoff, sorrry to miss out, we are at a wedding, say hello to Dennis for me.
Rick

AlisonSarmiento

Post by AlisonSarmiento » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:03 am

Hi Geoff, I'm hoping to join you and Dennis. I just need to arrange someone to take the dog for a walk as Ted is out CX racing that day too.
Alison

AlisonSarmiento

Post by AlisonSarmiento » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi Geoff, which way are you going out to Grassington? I'm struggling to get a dog walker so thinking I might join you for the first part of the ride and go back through Pateley so I can call in on the CX race.
Alison

geoffmorgan

Post by geoffmorgan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi Alison,
Probably- Ripley, Hampsthwaite, Duck Street, Greenhow, Stump Cross and on to Grassington - about 25 miles? Hope you can join us. Is Ted competing in the CX race?
Geoff

AlisonSarmiento

Post by AlisonSarmiento » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:31 pm

OK great, I can loop back from Grassington to Appletreewick and then climb back up to Stump Cross and down Greenhow to Pateley. If anyone else fancies a shorter ride they'd be more than welcome to join me.

Yes, Ted is racing tomorrow, although I don't know if the timings will work out for me to see him race as his race isn't until 12, although I think my nephew Joe is racing at 11 so i may just get to watch him.

I'll see you at 8am tomorrow.
Alison

Mike Hutchi

Post by Mike Hutchi » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:07 pm

I hope to make it tomorrow. I will be setting off from the centre of Harrogate so shall I meet you at Ripley and what time? Hope the rain holds off. Mike.

geoffmorgan

Post by geoffmorgan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi Mike,
We'll be at Ripley roundabout no earlier than 8.20am. See you there.
Geoff

Mike Hutchi

Post by Mike Hutchi » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:33 pm

Thanks Geoff. See you then.

geoffmorgan

Post by geoffmorgan » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Great ride yesterday, enjoyed by Dennis Moorhouse, Mike Hutchings and myself.( Alison left us at Hebden to go back home for doggie-walking duties). I cocked up on the estimated mileage of 95 as I based it on a ride 14 years ago with Bob Johnson, Nick Green(multi Nova record holder) who was on a tandem with his wife , and a few others. I now remember that we didn't go over Buttertubs that day but went straight to Askrigg from Hawes. We could have got back on course to Askrigg just beyond Muker but faced with an horrendous-looking hill and with about 7,000 feet of climbing in our legs bottled out and carried on down the valley to Reeth- this was a lovely fast section, followed by more fast riding through Richmond, Ainderby Steeple(by-passing Northallerton), then on to Topcliffe, Boroughbridge and home. This knocked our average speed up to 15.5mph, with each of us taking turns on the front(particularly Dennis).
We previously had our first stop at Kettlewell after 34 miles. Went to the village stop just below the climb to Park Rash- what a great shop. It reminded of the comedy 'Open All Hours'. It sells just about everything under the sun, food wise, including hot and cold sandwiches, various hot drinks and some great cakes. Over Fleet Moss, Dennis passed me on the very steep descent, clocking 53mph- Scary! We then had a 'beans on toast' stop at Hawes and a final brief stop sat on a bench at Reeth.
120 miles(another 4 for Mike who had to on to Harrogate from Knaresborough) and about 7,800 feet of ascent.
Geoff