Snow good this weekend

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

markQ

Snow good this weekend

Post by markQ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:14 pm

Now I may be peaking too early here, but the snow doesn't look as bad as it could have been. Providing it doesn't dump too much overnight and the rest of the weekend, anyone up for getting out??

Thinking of maybe a cross bike run into the hills late saturday morning and potentially a run out sunday. Keen to get some fresh air, may stick to cross bike for a little more rubber on the road (ice). Anyone else?

Mike Hudson

Re: Snow good this weekend

Post by Mike Hudson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:51 pm

Don't be daft; get out on an MTB off road and just enjoy the winter scenery. There is no training benefit this weekend unless boring turbo training in the garage is your thing and you want to race on 1st March. You have months ahead to look forward too, so unless your targeting a match with Cav on the T de F 2014 stage finish in Harrogate, don't get carried away or worst injured. Mike

markQ

Post by markQ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Its not all about training Mike, just keen to clear the head, nothing daft, blow away the cobwebs and enjoy!

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:00 am

I was thinking meet Ripley 9.15 on Sunday and stick to main road to Ripon and then main road to Pateley & back. Its a good lumpy run and roads usually pretty quiet on a Sunday morning. Assuming there is no more significant snow between now & then, roads should be fine. I drove into work today & the main roads are fully clear. Anyone up for it??

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:50 pm

I might be persuaded, anyone beyond us two?

Rob Senior

Post by Rob Senior » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:46 pm

Plus me is three. I'm happy to be dropped if it gets too wound up for me and my tank of a bike.

markQ

Post by markQ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:50 pm

May be up for it guys, but just done that route today. Need to be REALLY CAREFUL going down the dip just beyond Risplith. As if the ice wasn't enough, there is a huge amount of diesel on the descent (heading east) with a lot just on the apex of the bottom corner. It extends up the other side too, but less of a problem. Was taking it steady on cross bike as it was easy to see, but still had a speedway moment at the bottom. V close shave :o . Still snow in the middle of the road on main Ripon/ Pately Rd in places and some edging in to road at gateways etc. Generally it was a good run, but I waited until late morning to head out and there were still some icey patches on main road (bottom of hill out of Burnt Yates under trees and ascent before Stripe lane and also at start of Sandy lane climb) could easy spin up the rear wheel out of the saddle on the cross bike.

Its just a case of taking it steady. Rode back on Ripon road to Harrogate, dreaming the dream of a TDF stage coming to town..... :D

richp

Post by richp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:20 pm

Had a ride......yes a ride on the cross bike today, 50/50 road/trail.....all good, wet, cold, muddy and sweaty....only came off once with mud all over me, but hey it brought back the fun of what it's all about, even if I had to endure a shopping trip afterwards! Family day tomorrow now my half marathon race in York has been cancelled......need new tea rooms to explore.....any ideas!! Cheers

Rob Senior

Post by Rob Senior » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:47 pm

I really enjoyed the ride fellas. A good choice of route. Thanks

markQ

Post by markQ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Well and truly Mulliered today, great riding from Duncan- left the rest of us gasping in his wake. Great stuff guys, really enjoyed it. Crawled home and am now spent...looking forward to next weekend already ;)