Resuming of group riding at the end of March

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

duncan
Site Admin

Resuming of group riding at the end of March

Post by duncan » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:01 pm

Rides with six people can take place on 29th March according to the government's roadmap. Although events organised by a club can have more participants this does not include club members arranging their own rides, so we will be limited to six people.

The committee has discussed this and agreed that we will put wording on the web site that supports members organising rides of up to six people from 29th March.
The designated meet up place should not be in the town centre. It is possible that more than six people will turn up and this is better managed out of town. We suggest, but feel free to think of others, for rides going west meeting at the taxi rank on Pennypot Lane, opposite the Army Apprentice College https://goo.gl/maps/5jsngYRG7yEtrF5Q8
and for ride going east the entrance to Treves on the road to Farnham. https://goo.gl/maps/LL1z1giqHtACkxoCA

Let me know your thoughts.

simonkett

Re: Resuming of group riding at the end of March

Post by simonkett » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:49 pm

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for this. My thoughts are as follows -

Very sensible to keep it as a maximum of 6 even if BC guidelines allow for more. The general public aren't going to be aware of the BC rules, so any more than 6 is going to draw unwanted attention in my opinion.

We were riding in groups of 6 for a good part of last year without any significant problems as far as I am aware. It seems a shame that we should have to meet up in out of town locations now though. We'll be having to wear black cloaks & have special code names for routes next :lol:

Simon

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:25 pm

Evening Simon,
We can't have more than six unless it is an official club event. I think that this would mean the club publishing a route etc beforehand and not the more adhoc nature of club rides.

Meeting outside Prologue with potentially more than six turning up is problematic. Don't you think it would be better to meet a bit more out of the public eye and split up as necessary and then individuals could meet at the end where they wanted/were permitted to? There have been complaints in the past from the people who live around Prologue and it might be an excuse for them to get more angry at cyclists (apart from new cycles lanes). I only suggest those two locations, it could just be part of the organisation of the ride.

The police know about V718 now and look what happened to that.

simonkett

Post by simonkett » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:45 pm

Fair enough Duncan. Varying the meet up makes sense to avoid any unwarranted criticism.

bruno.m

Post by bruno.m » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:04 pm

Will we be resuming the Saturday morning ride? Once we know who is coming we can always confirm groups of 6 and perhaps have staggered start by 15 mins or so if more than 6

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:48 am

You are free to arrange rides with groups of up to 6 riders.