Medium paced ride - route options

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

m.morris

Medium paced ride - route options

Post by m.morris » Tue May 01, 2018 4:53 pm

Following last weeks run out I wanted to post some hillier routes into the Dales so we have some routes pre-planned.

Here are two I have on my Garmin Connect account. Let me know if they are not accessible.

The first is a 55 mile route up to Masham over to Lofthouse, then down to Pately and if people are up for it Greenhow and then returning via Prologue. Total 3,600ft of climbing. In a group the ride out should be easier so two large climbs will be tough but achievable. We can always alter the course at Pateley and return via Dacre Bank. Say 3.5 hrs and a good hilly option though we may want to start a little earlier than usual. Very scenic route and great in summer.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/13503943

The second is a harder 80 miler going up to Masham then on to Rayburn and back via West Burton and Kettlewell including one or two infamous climbs that you guys will know better than I do! 4,700ft of climbing. That's 5.5hrs if ridden at 15.5mph. Achievable in the group even with that degree of climbing. This one needs an earlier start and is intended to be a challenge.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/14329114

I'll look at some routes to do a little more of the Howardians as per last weeks effort. Great to get people adding their own variations and improving the route so feel free to add your own.

Cheers :D

Mark
Last edited by m.morris on Fri May 04, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geoffmorgan

Re: Medium paced ride - route options

Post by geoffmorgan » Wed May 02, 2018 8:44 am

Sounds good Mark. Am I correct that you are leading a ride this coming Saturday to Brimham, etc? I'll probably be there, 9.15 in Knaresborough.

m.morris

Post by m.morris » Wed May 02, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi Geoff. Will need to check the spreadsheet Alison produced but I'm happy to "lead". The second route above would be a good one to try out. We can always take a straw poll on doing Greenhow and get a café break in at How Stean.

terribletim

Post by terribletim » Wed May 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Hi Mark

Good work, sadly won't be out for a couple of weeks so can't join in, the links work but I think the 1st one is the wrong route I got a Ripon and east ride. I like the idea of more Howardian ones as they are nice and testing .

Cheers Tim

Ted

Post by Ted » Fri May 04, 2018 12:10 am

Are you thinking of doing the Lofthouse route this Saturday?

m.morris

Post by m.morris » Fri May 04, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi Ted.

Yes, I thought the 2nd route tomorrow. Head over to Ripley on the cycleway and then the Fountians Abbey road to Sawley. From there up to Masham then head West to Lofthouse (The hard bit). Break at How Stean and then a run back either through Pateley and on to Birstwith/Hampsthwaite or we can tackle Greenhow.

Either way, will be a great run out and even better if the sun is out.

Up for it?

m.morris

Post by m.morris » Fri May 04, 2018 5:37 pm

For info, I've updated the course links so both are now OK.

M