Wrynose or Bust Sportive

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

simonkett

Wrynose or Bust Sportive

Post by simonkett » Fri May 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Despite the dreadful forecast Greg, Big Mike & I took part in this event on Sunday as preparation for the Fred Whitton.
Having seen the forecast I thought we'd be better not to bother & instead do a ride from home on the Saturday, but Mike was adamant - we were going come what may! :shock:
Starting just outside Lancaster, with the last rider off at 8.00am meant getting out of bed at 4.30am - something which does not come naturally for me & may have assisted in making me feel horribly car sick on the journey up.
At the start it was cold & windy & the prospect of doing 112 miles over the Cumbrian fells was particularly unappealing, however, we soon warmed up by doing 35 miles of bit & bit. On the way we picked up a companion from Penrith who joined us in pushing the wind to the bottom of the Duddon valley.
The head wind over Wrynose pass was savage & took it's toll on Mike & I.... Greg seemed unaffected.....
The trip back south was scenic & the wind assistance in places was very welcome. The rain arrived with about 25 miles to go & came down pretty hard, but we knew we'd done the hard part & all Mike & I needed to do was hang onto Greg's wheel to the finish :roll:
Greg & I finished in 6 hours 49 minutes with Mike coming in only few minutes behind having suffered from frozen hands & hunger knock in the last 5 miles.
If anyone is considering doing it next year, it's a great route in a lovely part of the country, however they will need to improve the signage which was hit & miss in parts meaning we went of course a few times & had to retrace our steps.... better than some though who ended up getting a taxi home!
Funniest moment - when Greg realised he'd drunk the cup of tea that Mike had been defrosting his fingers in :lol: