MTB rides through winter

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

richp

MTB rides through winter

Post by richp » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi, as ive just bought a new MTB (bike 2 work), i was wondering if there was any interest of a few club outings...pace dependent on terrain and the speed i manage to get back on the bike after various falls!, plus obligatory cafe stop at end, if not at the beginning! something abit different to get you nice and Diiiirrty and out of all those flash Castelli numbers, and dare i even mention baggy shorts!!! :lol:

im aiming on riding Saturdays hopefully through winter, but keen to get a monthly club get together going if others are keen.

ps im no expert...my old MTB got nicked and its taken years for me to get the nerve to get one again, just in case anyone mentions the dreaded c2c again!!! :shock:

RobBeagley

Re: MTB rides through winter

Post by RobBeagley » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:08 pm

Rich

I'd definitely be up for a bit of winter MTB action - there are plenty of options of riding out from Harrogate without too much on road work. I'll still wear the Castelli kit on the MTB if that rules me out :-)

I'll keep an eye out for future posts

Cheers Rob

markQ

Post by markQ » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:28 pm

All the variations just give me a headache! 26, 27.5, 29, fat or just chubby, hard, hardtail, or just allround floppy and then decision as to how floppy and how many mm. Bikes that only go downhill, well not strictly speaking, just induce a hernia if you try to pedal them up. Don't get me started on dropper seat posts!!....and the gear, full face, fat face, neck brace, body armour etc.......what is your weapon of choice Mr P, will my 25yr old, rigid 26 inch, steel commuter match up? If so I'm in ;-)

richp

Post by richp » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:40 pm

as I say...im no expert, but ive just got a hardtail 29er....I like it, better than my old rigid 26inch steel commuter!! im sure Frosty will give us all the low down....must admit, went across to Gisburn yesterday and it was soooo different to roadies, smoking in the car park (not me!), baggies, rucsacs, full face helmets and they walked up the hills.....!!! I felt a fraud in my winter tights and Nova jacket on, which didn't have some sort of pace-face-race all over it! oh and nor did I have a camera stuck on my helmet!! oohheerrr missus!>?

terribletim

Post by terribletim » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:52 pm

Mark, It's not about the bike , Rich , you should know by now that Gisburn is in Lancashire and they are a bit odd round there but they will be the downhill trails and you really don't want to do them at your age, stick to the red and black. I am sure Frosty will add his tenpenarth but just get a hardtail with sensible front suspension, for winter I will be using carbon rigid forks as apart from parts of Stainburn that is all you really need in winter around Harrogate and even that is possible, this saves money getting suspension cleaned and serviced due to Harrogate mud.

ianc

Post by ianc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:27 pm

Rich, I'm also back on the MTB scene, so up for some MTB rides, I would prefer Sundays as I have to work every other Sat :( either way I'll try to make some of the rides and cling on for dear life!!!

frosty

Post by frosty » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:43 pm

Good news Ricky P! Sounds like you already have a steed, so let's get rolling. I am sure the mighty shep will be up for a ride soon, in fact I'm going out this sunday post hangover... just not sure on location yet, might depend on hangover. 3 ressies is always good, stainburn, guisecliffe, scar dam, the lists are endless. Swaledale is a good day out, as are hamsterley and dalby, never liked gisburn much myself..

richp

Post by richp » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:00 pm

happy to do a monthly mtb on sunday to cater for all, with saturdays most weeks if anyone cares to join me......how about an inaugural nova MTB sunday ride next weekend (cant this weekend due to a two day triathlon training course)....we could keep it simple next weekend and do a scarhouse loop for starters, or kilnsey/mastiles/bolton abbey/hebbden? what do we think?

markQ

Post by markQ » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:04 pm

Is it winter already ?????