Strava now has competition.

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

john.t

Strava now has competition.

Post by john.t » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Ridewithgps.com has just introduced segments. The site gives much better ride data than both Connect and Strava. You can look at very short parts of your ride in detail and create segments more accurately. Worth a look. For how their segments work click on v 2.5.1 at the top of the page. Strava is good for a bit of fun but this gives real data and comparisons. Early days yet but if they improve improve this as well as they have the rest of the site it is going to be very good.

DaveWrightson

Re: Strava now has competition.

Post by DaveWrightson » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 pm

The best thing about Strava is the ability to use different devices on it. So people that don't have Garmins can still use iPhones or any other gps enabled device and you can still compare rides and segments etc.

I might have missed it but it doesn't look like ridewithgps offers that?

Beyond that, I wouldn't use either for serious training stats, it's just a bit of social fun :)

john.t

Re: Strava now has competition.

Post by john.t » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:03 pm

But Strava needs to sort out it's data handling. 11.9% up Cornwall Rd after the steep bit is not even a joke. I agree rwgps is not as good for serious training as, say Training Peaks, but it is much better than the Polar program that came with my CS400. With a couple of clicks I can get data from every time I rode a segment, including laps if ridden, with speed, HR, cadence and gradient at 1 second intervals. Providing my 500 is set to that.
You can upload GPX, TCX and FIT files but only Garmin units do it directly.