Pennypot circuits/Midweek rides - but slower

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

nuts250

Pennypot circuits/Midweek rides - but slower

Post by nuts250 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi all,

I am new to the club and through reading on this forum I am getting a feel for what, when and how you ride.

These Tuesday night sets sound great and what I am looking for for my training/racing goals (triathlon). I came out on a couple of your fast rides last year (Masham, Lofthouse and Pateley route) and know that I would not keep up for long after hanging on by the skin of my teeth on that valley road back to Pateley.

So, does anyone else do these kinds of sessions on Tuesdays?
Could it work with secondary midpaced group?
Due to swim/run commitments I doubt I could do another day in the week.

I would be glad to hear your thoughts.

Mark T

BigMike

Re: Pennypot circuits/Midweek rides - but slower

Post by BigMike » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Hi Mark,

Im sure you would keep up, when you get a good group together its amazing the momentum you can keep. however having a second group form up is a great idea and will hopefully entice more people along. I guess we could all start out together and then those that hang on to Simon then great and those that feel like pulling off can either drop to the second group or form a second group from the start.

At the moment its a 18:45 start opposite the foundation college. with 2 laps, taking about an hour or so.

Great idea Mark

Mike

nuts250

Post by nuts250 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Any other takers for a slower group?

Or a different day or route to spare our blushes? Though I must admit that route looks ideal for the purpose.

Mike, you are very welcoming, thank you. Not sure of joining you guys yet.

nuts250

Post by nuts250 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:49 am

Rode last night. A slower group formed from about the Sun Inn, which was good. About 5 of us with about a 19.5mph average.

Martin - good to meet you. MarkQ I think that you were in this group too.

Not sure of the other 2 chaps.

I am away next week, but hope to be back the week after.

markQ

Post by markQ » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Mark, I was there in the "slow" group. Not sure it worked as well as last week from a group perspective. My legs were gone from the start. I plan to continue turning out and hang in for as long as possible before the inevitable selection. I am sure there are enough of us to make it worthwhile. Happy to consider other nights as well, which is something you raised, but would need a minimum number

martin

Post by martin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:03 am

Good to meet you too Mark and ride with 'break off fraction' who formed on the way to Little Almscliff. I enjoyed the two laps from then on. Possibly form this group at the start next week?

By the way did those deep pot holes on Penny pot take any out last Tuesday? Friend in running club out training described seeing a Nova rider carrying his 'broken' bike through Harrogate? We know roughly where these holes are now, need to keep out from the edge where possible!

Good luck Nova if you’re riding Stiff challenge this weekend. Will also shout necessary words of encouragement to Nova riders attempting 24mile TT this weekend, I will be on the race course round-a-bout. See you next Tuesday.
Martin

simonkett

Post by simonkett » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:34 pm

I was the one carrying my bike the other week Martin! I've reported those potholes to the council via the CTC website "Fill that hole" section. I can recommend it as others I have reported in the past got fixed quite quickly.

I'll be back to the chaingang as soon as the hour changes - I'm not risking damaging another wheel!

Will be doing the open & the Stif sportive this weekend. See you then!

Simon

BigMike

Post by BigMike » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Hi Martin et al, good session on tues night and I'm glad you got two laps in! I managed to hold gregs wheel and so did andy g. We made two good laps. Legs were sore yesterday! It's great we all meet and start off together! More the merrier! Might try and get a few capos along and sort a liitle comp out!!
I'm doing tt sat then the stiff ride sun, should be good, might even bring summer bike along! Jonty says 70 now entered and you can sign on in the morning! Maybe 100 riders!

Mike Hudson

Post by Mike Hudson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:34 pm

I suggest an Aussie pursuit style grouping two or three groups. Decide how many laps and either a couple of minutes apart for one lap so you can get on with bit n bit, then rest up on pennypot and do the same . We used to do this when i coached athletics. When i turn out may be next week i'll try and sort it.

Mike Hudson

simonkett

Post by simonkett » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:39 am

Sounds like a good suggestion Mike.