Brian robinson challenge

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

BigMike

Brian robinson challenge

Post by BigMike » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:56 pm

Anyone fancying the Brian Robinson Challenge, 29th April....... did it a few years ago and some good climbs! perfect ride for the fred prep!

BM

duncan
Site Admin

Re: Brian robinson challenge

Post by duncan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:23 pm

and don't you Novaeliters forget that I was once the fastest man on this and it counts because the minimum of one Ketteringham was present. The course is a bit grim from Emily Moor to the M62 north of Huddersfield.

Lattern_Rouge

Post by Lattern_Rouge » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Duncan which one Joanne? :)

I know this route well as I grew up in Huddersfield and the problem they have is the event is or was based at Huddersfield Ruby Union Ground at Lockwood, by the way in Huddersfield that's Whimps Rugby :lol: and the real thing is played down the Road at the Galpham. Any way back to my post. As this is a just on the outskirts of the Town, they have difficulty getting you back without having to use roads that have already been used so they link the route up by using A roads. Notwithstanding that there are some great climbs and the views from Pole Moor, Holme Moss etc are worth the effort.

simonkett

Post by simonkett » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:49 pm

It starts at the Galpham stadium now. Too many A roads for me though.

Jamie Laramee

Post by Jamie Laramee » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:44 am

I rode this last year and really enjoyed it. The weather was red hot and the group start is really good fun. It's a really good route and although there are a lot of A roads they aren't too busy as they tens to be out on the moors etc. It is marshalled really well and has some cracking climbs.

I will check over the weekend with the missus regarding dates, but will try and do this one as it is where i grew up and my parents still live local.

This is the route:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/32014416

Mike Hudson

Post by Mike Hudson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:16 pm

i'm considering it, did it last year and enjoyed the ride and group i got with after i went off a bit too hard. It was decent day, only thing lacking was an after event venue for the social nothing where everyone could collect sit around and drum there fingers on the table and mutter where is he? must have punctured? iv been back ages grin getting bigger as time goes by and club mates stagger in. Only some people know that feeling! I think Jamie was fastest last year MIke

BigMike

Post by BigMike » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:36 pm

well im up for it if others are, just let me know.

Good luck in the reliability tomorrow for those that are doing it!

Lattern_Rouge

Post by Lattern_Rouge » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:57 pm

As I will be at home over the weekend of the 28th & 29th of April, I remembered Big Mike's Post re the Brian Robinson Challenge is on the 29th of April and I see from the entry list that at least one Harrogate Nova rider has entered.

Big Mike mentioned that he might do it.

Is there interesting in entering?

I'd like to do UK sportive this year and this would appear to be an ideal opportunity for me.

I can't find a web page for the ride, but I understand that it is a mass start with the roads closed for the first few miles, so should add to the experience.

I have placed the Si entires link below for those that are interested.

Let me know if you intend entering and we could meet up beforehand and set off together, though I doubt I'll keep up with the whippets that we have in the club.

Tony.

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=661

Lattern_Rouge

Post by Lattern_Rouge » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:10 am

There are 3 Harrogate Nova riders (Alasdair, Simon Thomas and me ) entered into the Brian Robinson Challenge at the moment and you can enter until the beginning of April so there is still plenty of time.

Mike Wilberforce is doing the Rutland Cicle Tour the day before on the 28th of April, which looks like a good days riding, details can be found at this link http://www.itpevents.co.uk/events/the-d ... -tour.html

Best regards

Tony.

Lattern_Rouge

Post by Lattern_Rouge » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Anyone thinking of entering the Brian Robinson Challeng might want to note the following,

According to the Article in the local Huddersfield paper if you enter direct with the organiser it is 20 quid rather than 25 if you do it via SiEntries, this may not be correct as the Examiner is renowned for getting things wrong, but it is worth a call to him if it saves you 5 quid.

Here is the article.

A RECORD number of cyclists will join a charity ride in honour on one of the area’s greatest athletes.
The Brian Robinson Cycling Challenge has already had more than 350 entrants with a month still left to go before entry closes.
The 75-mile circular route begins and ends at the Galpharm Stadium.
Brian, who lives in Mirfield, is a former road bicycle racer of the 1950s and early 1960s and has won a stage of the gruelling Tour de France.
The ride aims to raise money for three different charities including the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, The Police Memorial Trust and The Dave Rayner Fund – which gives money to promising young cyclists.
The event has been running since 2007 and was previously known as Kirklees Sportive.
It attracts riders from across the country to take part and has grown in popularity over the last few years.
It takes in parts of Lancashire, Derbyshire, South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire.
There are two “feed-stations” along the way offering sustenance for the riders.
Clr Martyn Bolt said: “People are becoming more and more aware of cycling because of the increased number of events that are being organised and with the high profile GB cyclists have in the Olympics.
“There are still places available for the ride and it is for a great cause.”
Entry costs £20, cyclist registration opens at 7.30am on Sunday April 29 and the ride starts at 9am.
To book your place call Clr Bolt on 07717678549 or visit www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?elid=Y&event_id=661

Read More http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-we ... z1p6JbJTKg