club road race

Club Kit, Club Records and Club Governance, General questions.

Moderator: duncan

frosty

club road race

Post by frosty » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:44 pm

Myself, Dave M and Chris "the falcon" Gatt were discussing that there was no club road race champs.

That could be because there is no interest in such an event.

I might not know what I'm getting myself into, but if there was interest I could take the lead on organising it..

It's not really about finding the best road racer in the club but having a situation where people can try a road race amongst people they are comfortable riding with, in a comparatively smaller field. I.e. the road race champion presentation would go to someone who hadn't entered an "open event" or such like.

I'd either be looking at closed circuit depending on availability (harewood hillclimb circuit sprung to mind since there is an event in a month or two's time, or Dave's suggestion was harrogate showground), or a documented circuit like pennypot where hopefully I could access prior risk assessments etc.

Just thought I'd post and see what reactions, good or bad, were. It might be a good thing for press coverage of the local club in pre TDF year too..

Rob Senior

Re: club road race

Post by Rob Senior » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm keen and happy to help where I can. All venues you suggested sound good but would Penny Pot leave rider potentially isolated?

Ted

Post by Ted » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:33 pm

This sounds like a good way for someone like me to have a go, if only once. I really like the idea of a closed circuit, could we 'borrow' the new York circuit or Dishforth? Are there others? Great idea, hope it gets some support.

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm in Mr Frost, definitely think it needs to a closed circuit somewhere, a lot less complicated. I've often thought about the Yorkshire showground, but I'm not sure the surfaces are good enough, if they end of improving those then I definitely think we should approach them at some point - it would have all the facilities and a great central position. I'm happy to help out if enough support.

markQ

Post by markQ » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Niall, great idea, but practically challenging.

Dishforth were looking for clubs to promote races. Albarosa promoted their first race there within a year of establishing itself and was a great success. I know that they met with BC officials in April to understand what was required etc at the circuit and there was also a massive team effort. i couldn't count how many people were helping on the day, but lets say lots. Seacroft wheelers have promoted one and each club are hosting another event. The Pennypot circuit requiresa lot of approvals and also additional road management that comes at a cost. I don't think unless we promoted a big event we could cover these. Other venues sound good, but i expect you would have to host a sizable race to cover costs of any venue. I have no idea what these are, but nothing comes cheap. Having said that, I'm 100% supportive and happy to help, just think its hard just to dip your toe in, you have to jump in headfirst.

Practically for those interested in racing, riding a chaingang would be the first step. In fact a club race would just be like Pennypot on a tuesday, fast guys smash it, slower guys shelled out the back one by one, until there is only one :D :cry:
Chris has offered some good advice on tuesdays and perhaps a more inclusive approach would see more people turn out. That and the conflict of other events the TTs, tues/ thurs night race series not to mention the odd 100mile+ killer sportive in peoples' diaries, its hard to find a time that fits with what in reality is a relatively small group of riders.

Mark

FranV

Post by FranV » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:55 am

A few of these might save on traffic management charges if you do want a road race. I'd volunteer to do that kind of thing. http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubs/ ... -Marshal-0. Maybe worth casting the net out to the wider Harrogate community for volunteers. With TdF might be more good will than usual? Maybe somewhere like Hornbeam Park on an evening might be a good place to have a circuit?