Evening events - Old School

Club Kit, Club Records and Club Governance, General questions.

Moderator: duncan

VeloVader

Evening events - Old School

Post by VeloVader » Fri May 24, 2013 7:25 am

Over the last few years, I've been in quiet admiration of the competitors who turn up week after week and churn out pretty respectable rides on standard drop bar bikes. Last wednesday, we had a full on headwind/tailwind yet somehow people manage 23mph rides on bikes that have limited top gears and that must feel like a galleon in full sail into the wind. Serious respect.

It might be quite fun to have an old school competition in future years. Especially as it could support participation by people new to the sport who perhaps only have one bike. I would suggest keep it simple, if it looks like a road bike and has no clip on or tri bars, it is a road bike.....

frosty

Re: Evening events - Old School

Post by frosty » Fri May 24, 2013 8:36 am

Or do a medium gear event, then we might get people to drag those fixed gears out of the cupboard...

Good idea.

Ted

Post by Ted » Fri May 24, 2013 2:21 pm

You never saw Jacques Anquetil with tri-bars... and he wasn't a bad time-trialer. Great idea.

VeloVader

Post by VeloVader » Fri May 24, 2013 4:35 pm

Medium gear is interesting, but a devil to administer.

Dead simple,has it got tribars, no , then is Old SChool.

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Fri May 24, 2013 8:16 pm

Could we do a ten on a saturday morning at the end of the season. I'm sure if M and V are fed up by then I could volunteer Caroline to time.

Rick

Post by Rick » Mon May 27, 2013 10:21 am

Sounds good ......can we start mid morning ?
Rick

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Tue May 28, 2013 9:42 am

We think this is possibly a good idea - but as you say we don't want to take any more on board (whilst quite happy to help). I suggest that someone takes this task on and sees it through from start to finish - from applying for the event etc., which will have to be done shortly, for an end of season event, to allow time for police permission, (you can't just decide to find a course and put the event on!!) We will be quite happy to guide the promoter through the event procedure.
Margaret

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Tue May 28, 2013 10:44 am

I'm sure Steve has his hands full with the cross race, so I'll volunteer (obviously if someone else wants to take it on I'd only be too happy) and Caroline will time. We should discuss the format, so I suggest, as a start for any discussion.

No TT bikes, no clip on aero bars, no aero helmets, no deep section wheels. Normal road bike with normal handle bars and normal wheels.
What about computers?

Which course? V212 Arkendale-Walshford or a lap of Milby-Norton Le Clay or Farnham or Pennypot.

Which date? The day after Scarhouse 25th August (clashes with V718 event), 31 August, 1 September (clashes with A100, V236/1). (Clashes are for me really). I'd prefer the day after Scarhouse.

I suspect it will be too complicated to incorporate this into the league itself and would suggest it is just a stand alone "fun" event.

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Tue May 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Obviously there needs to be some indication that this is worth doing......

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Tue May 28, 2013 2:19 pm

I suppose I could be tempted into one TT in a year!