Club Records - a timeline

Club Kit, Club Records and Club Governance, General questions.

Moderator: duncan

VeloVader

Club Records - a timeline

Post by VeloVader » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:17 pm

Yesterday I was chatting with Duncan and also Tim Jarvis. The discussion with Duncan was about records. The discussion with Tim was about how much advantage a TT bike gives over a traditional drop handlebar machine in a TT.

Having gone away and thought about it, I wonder if there might be some interest in creating some kind of timeline or historical records section. I say this because when I look back at my own cycling experiences, I can fondly remember Nova and local members who's names might not all mean much to many now but in their time were awesome. The early 1980's was a great era, especially given that the offspring of those riders are now coming through into the sport.

Keith McArthur, Carl Midgley, Mike Hudson, Alistair Innes, Jon Surtees etc... I can remember the utter amazement of everyone when Jon went sub 20mins on the Farnham 9m circuit in the old Ackrill League.

Duncan broke the Vets record last night, a record that was quite a few years old, only for some moron to break it again a few minutes later....but none the less, Duncan held that record and it should be remembered as such. I'm sure if we look back, we'll see some 55min 25's done on steel road bikes which in today's context are amazing rides.

Just a thought.....don't know what records exist or how it could be done.

Steve

duncan
Site Admin

Re: Club Records - a timeline

Post by duncan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:55 pm

I've been meaning to add a Trophy Room to the site for ages. It will be like (and use) the results site in that each trophy will have a page and on it it will list the winners through the ages. The 25 trophy, for example, is fascinating with names and times going back to the 40s. The same could be done for the course records if the information is available. I guess I could get on with that when it's chucking it down. I'll contact the winners to see if they will type up their trophies.

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:29 pm

In reply to Steve's point - I have a list of the winners of the League (male) going back to 1979, but the book, which I inherited from Keith Thompson only show the full results going back to 1991. I don't know what happened to the previous book - but I know James Lee(timekeeper-from Alne) has a lot of Keith's records etc. stored at his home - he may have the previous book.
However, the book I have becomes full at the end of this season so you can borrow it and try to come up with some facts when I finish using it in September. It just shows that written records do come in useful eventually.

In reply to Duncan's comments - we do have a list of all trophy winners going back to 1970. However, when we get the trophies back in during September we can give a list of all trophy winners going back, in some cases, to 1947. Perhaps some work for you during the winter months! The Nova Trophy with the most history was the Raleigh Cup for the Open 50 which we use to run - the names on it are like who's who of the Cycling World (with 50m national records being set in the event)

Margaret

VeloVader

Post by VeloVader » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:15 pm

Really glad there seems to be an appetite for this. All of a sudden, I feel like a whippersnapper!

Mike Hudson

Post by Mike Hudson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:08 pm

well i think i held the club 25 m record for a short time as i got a medal and then Keith Mc arthur improved it (but was he 1st claim?). Nick Green holds it now. I did 54-41 on the 9/7/1981 in the Richmond and Darlington event on T254 which was known as Catterick and one of the fastest courses in the country. Joe Waugh won in 50-49 which was one of the fastest rides of all time at the time though Alf Engers had done his 49-24 in 1978, but few had beaten his old 51-00 at that time. I'd like to see a list of records and all time performances compiled.My sons athletic club was brilliant at this, but had great recorders. Keith McArthur is still around and the trophies may shed some light on the fastest times. One rule we had was that you had to be a first claim member to be granted a club record and Big Sand did ride for Leeds Road Club at the height of his powers.

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:39 am

Work has now begun on this, thanks to Margaret. If you can fill in any gaps then let us know.

See the Nostalgia thread here.
http://www.harrogatenova.com/forum/view ... 3538#p3538

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:13 pm

I have now added the former club records. They are all listed as say "15 Mile TT Ladies Record" but the current record has the extra label "Club Record" whereas any others have "Former Record". So a search for "25 Mile TT Senior Record", will show the whole time line. A search for "club record" will list all the current club records. If anyone has any missing former club records let me know.

Maybe one day I'll put drop down boxes for each trophy. Maybe not.

There are some additional ladies' vets records that weren't there before. Perhaps Alison and Corinne didn't know.

http://trophies.mullier.me/trophies.php