Rebranding of Fast Rides/Moderate Rides

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

duncan
Site Admin

Rebranding of Fast Rides/Moderate Rides

Post by duncan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:58 pm

After a bit of discussion on one of the rides I thought I'd bring it out into a post on its own.

Shall the three separate sections of fast, moderate and leisurely or should they be removed? The original idea was that if a ride was posted up as a fast ride then anyone who turned up couldn't complain if they got dropped. I think it has become more of a badge of honour. "I can't post a moderate ride" or "I'm not riding in a moderate ride". The problem is two fold as the word "steady" is being used in the fat rides section but then the ride doesn't end up being steady at all. I think that any ride posted up should be honest about its aims. Maybe the key point is whether it is going to involve waiting for someone or not, accepting "mile off" commands or not. Personally, I don't mind the odd thrash but I also don't mind a genuinely steady ride as in, not red lining but also not ambling along. I tend to know what I'm going to get though.

chester56

Re: Rebranding of Fast Rides/Moderate Rides

Post by chester56 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:16 pm

I think the notion of a fast/medium ride is long overdue and I certainly believe there is a caucus of riders in this category within Nova who would improve by consistently riding in this category. I, like several riders, have ridden in both fast and medium categories and found neither to meet my needs - on good days, I may hang in there for a while with the fast guys, whilst the medium ride I find too slow.

So, I propose a category of ride that we might call fast/medium or some other title which sits between the existing two categories.

Let's try it this coming Sunday and see how it goes?

Andy

Ted

Post by Ted » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:38 am

Andy - Sam has posted a similar suggestion to yours on the moderate forum thread.

I wonder whether what is needed is bit of a re-think on club rides in general. For various reasons we seem to have lots of small groups heading out with the most regular / consistent being the fast group. Is there merit in all riders meeting at the same time and place with two or three different paced groups heading out to an agreed cafe stop? The faster riders could take a longer route to get there.

I entirely understand the desire of Sam, Andy et al to ride with a group where they are not either dying or coasting and enabling everyone to get what they need from a ride seems to be an enduring problem...the cappuccinos seem to be able to manage it though...;)

Alison (masquerading as Ted)

Rob Senior

Post by Rob Senior » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:07 pm

I'd be really up for what is suggested and be happy to go at the pace of the group. Sadly free time for me has been tight this yr so far to make organised club rides. If I was not doing the Scotton I'd be in. I too have in laws visiting this weekend - the slower I go the more time away ;)

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:01 pm

I have now locked the above three sub-forums, so posts can no longer be made there. When posting a ride please be honest.

I'm now beginning to think that the forum has caused some of these problems. The rides have got more numerous but with fewer people. I'd vote for a return to the first and third Sunday where we have a big group and the odd thrash to the top of a hill and then a regroup. Other Saturday rides could then be posted as people felt. What's happened to the Nidderdale lot?

Paul_C

Post by Paul_C » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:40 pm

Psyched out by the usual Nova speed machines! Great rides if you're fit.. crap if you're not. Plus the move to POW is a bit far. No comnplaints, I agree the meet point should be in Harrogate tho', our fault for living out int' boonies!

richp

Post by richp » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:30 am

But what of the nova motto!! I have no complaints like Paul c as I know what to expect and know what level I need to get to....abit of a never ending cycle of get abit fitter but so does everyone else! In reality, most of my training is done on my own, you never quite get the right training effect from a group ride as its so variable in people's fitness levels and it would be unfair on those that train hard, very hard to have to wait for less able riders. I like the thrash of trying to keep up and it's a great vo2 max session for me, when dropped I have relief that I can swing home at my leisure and turn the second half of the ride into a nice steady tempo effort or recovery! You need to take what you want from each ride and look at the positives rather the negative, however it would be good that perhaps once a month we have a club cafe run where we do actually all get together, young and old to discuss issues such as these, but more importantly to indulge in my other important pastime of eating! Would also be great to get rides in with the pateley crowd.

Darrell Varley

Post by Darrell Varley » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:38 pm

I dont have a problem with being dropped from any group, I will always find my way home and sometimes its good to have a ride that stretches you. Having said that, it would be good to have the option or back-up of a mod/fast group. You could even call it Fast A and Fast B groups if people would prefer ;)

The mod/fast could set off with the fast and drop off when ready, or if all agree a route before setting off, anyone dropped by the fast could be swept up by the mod/fast. Keep it flexible and not too formal though.

I wouldn't like to think the fast rides be driven underground so when people do want a good thrashing they don't know where to go get one!

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:57 pm

I agree the meet point should be in Harrogate tho'
I don't think anyone minds meeting up at Ripley or the end of Pennypot if we know you're coming, but there doesn't seem much point going there if you're not.

BigMike

Post by BigMike » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:00 pm

I really like the idea of all groups starting together... then its personal choice what you want to do but good to have some banter at the start as a club. On the rides ive done we seem to meet at POW, seems to suit everyone and as Dunc suggests we could head penny pot way or where ever if the Nidderdale crew are joining us.