Unofficial Club Ride Points Competition

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

daveymorrisuk

Unofficial Club Ride Points Competition

Post by daveymorrisuk » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:25 pm

Right, rules are simple. Points awarded for sprints and king of mountains. First place only, no points for losers and has to be on club rides. Proper sprints and hills only. Shout them out when you get them and add them to the tally on this thread (if it lasts).
You never know there might be a prize :o (DVD box set of Susan Reid's best on screen flashes).

So from today ride i make it.
KOM:
Paul C 1 point (Lofthouse)

Sprint:
Paul Lehan 1 point (Pateley)
Greg K 1 point (Masham)

Special mention to Darwin award attempts to Duncan and Paul L.
Despite breaking a spoke at Masham, good effort from Paul C on the climb to Lofthouse. I might try and remove alternate drive side spokes from my wheel to lighten it up. It clearly didn't affect the power transfer up the hill :!:

Mantis

Re: Unofficial Club Ride Points Competition

Post by Mantis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:15 pm

Like it! But can we only contest sprints that don't have a bus in the way! I'm still having nightmares that I was going to end up as bus advert!

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:48 pm

I think this is a great idea, especially in winter when there's nothing else to go for. If it catches on I'll put it on its own forum.

BigMike

Post by BigMike » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:58 pm

Great idea Duncan, really like it, one thing though, if we only have KOM and Sprint then only 2 or 3 people are going to take the points!? How about an effort of the day or domestique of the day, helps us more vertically challenged riders to click up some points!

john.t

Post by john.t » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:09 pm

Can I go for ' most time off the back'. ;)

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:36 pm

It's Dave's idea not mine and a damn good one. I agree with you Mike, there is quite often someone who has a really good day. What about ten points per ride for KOM, sprints and best rider? Split the ten points up over however many of each there are, i.e. 2 sprints and one climb makes them 5 each for the sprints and 10 for the climb and 10 best rider, which could also be split. No best rider before the cafe stop, to keep it together for a while. Who decides the best rider though? I suppose we could have a mast-debate on here afterwards.

I'm a bit disappointed that we still haven't managed to get a moderate group riding.

BigMike

Post by BigMike » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:51 pm

Great idea duncan, like the 10 point idea. With KOM and sprints clearly defined it might be interesting to have a little debate afterwards!
regarding the moderate ride i think we have an option, if we all ride steady to the cafe stop (20 miles ish) like we did this weekend and then those that want it spicy can join the fast group and those steady can then ride together post coffee and cake. It worked at the weekend and it would be fantastic to have a start with more of the club.

daveymorrisuk

Post by daveymorrisuk » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:02 am

Good ride on Sunday, with the result hot off the press I make it.

KOMs
Dave M, Langbar
Simon K, Skyreholme
Sprints
Greg, Harrogate

Well done.

Totals so far

KOM
1 Paul C
1 Simon K
1 Dave M

Sprint
2 Greg K
1 Paul Lehan

Any others, let me know. Random point allocations for man of the match, kit wrecker of the day, best retro Castelli top, laziest rider or sweatiest top? Nominations please.

Cheers, Dave.

Rob Senior

Post by Rob Senior » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:26 am

Does this mean even more trophies at the crimbo dinner?!

daveymorrisuk

Post by daveymorrisuk » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:33 am

"What do points make"?

I can't hear you!!!

What's that?

Did you say PRIZES?