Sat 4/4/2020 - Zwift Nova Meet-Up + after party

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

daveymorrisuk

Sat 4/4/2020 - Zwift Nova Meet-Up + after party

Post by daveymorrisuk » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:50 am

Quick 60min ride together around Central Park then an after party. New York has a few KOMS and Sprint arches for a bit of fun.

When: Saturday 4/4/2020 @ 9:15
Where: New York, Knickerbocker
Watts: 1.0-3.0w/kg (banded), then 1-5w/kg afterwards
Time: 60mins + after party
Kit: MGCCKit (To unlock a kit, just hit “P” in game and enter the unlock code. https://zwiftinsider.com/kits/)
Discord: https://discord.gg/RmnUbuA

Tips
Please ensure you login to Zwift at least 5mins before the start time and start to Ride. When its 5mins until the start time you should receive a pop-up asking you if you want to Join the events, please make sure you press "Let's Go" and you will be transported to the holding area on your virtual turbo. From there you will get an event count time timer until the official start time. Ensure that you are pedalling before the end of the count timer (10-15s or so works fine) so that you don't get dropped right from the get go. Don't panic at the start, just keep pedalling at a steady pace until the group settles down. With Zwift being really busy at the moment, things can look a bit messy with riders everywhere for the 1st 5mins.

The group will be banded together for the 1st 60 minutes. This means that as long as you are pedalling Zwift will ensure that you cannot break away or be dropped from the group. Faster riders may gravitate towards the front and slower riders the back, but don't worry Zwift won't drop you from the group and similarly you cannot ride away either. Use your energy wisely in this first 60mins. If the rest of the group is riding at 2.5w/kg and you are hitting 3.5w/kg then you will simply be towing the rest of the group along and tiring yourself out for the after party.

Also, please don't forget that you need to accept the meet-up otherwise Zwift won't know that you want to go. Best use the Zwift Companion app for this and ensure you are logging in with the same user name and password as you use for the full game.

If you've not already been invited and want to join in then please send me a follow request on Zwift “David Morris [nova.cc]” as I can only invite people who follow me.

Any questions or advice wanted, please do ask.

simonkett

Re: Zwift Nova Meet-Up + after party

Post by simonkett » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:17 am

Thanks for organising Dave. I'm in!

I'm still feeling my way with Zwift, but have found getting set up early ( say 20 minutes & making sure everything is connected, sensors working, drink towel & fan ready is a good idea. Also gives you a chance for a warm up spin.

See you all on Saturday - virtually!

Simon

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:02 am

I'm going to see if Matthew wants to go.

Andrewstringer

Post by Andrewstringer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:14 am

Ill have a go - second time lucky - cheers

Andrewstringer

Post by Andrewstringer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:16 am

also - i found that using my phone on the discord app worked but i just could not hear anyone.

Im going to try using some gaming ear device micro phone jobby this time,

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:23 am

If you use a headset you won't get loads of feedback. To stop me swiping the young'uns headset I have bought the following.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Audio- ... 2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headset-On-E ... 2749.l2649

A splitter and headset. Phones have a combined port for microphone and headphones. The splitter lets you plug in this patricular headset into your phone (an xbox headset will only plug into your phone, not all computers). The headset on it's own will work on a computer with seperate headphone and microphone ports. I got pink because I am confident in my sexuality, but you can also get in baby blue. Both together come in for under a tenner. I also chose these because they are minimal. The big ones get sweaty (fnaaar).

On with my mandatory online DSE Training.

rjhamilton

Post by rjhamilton » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:48 am

Dont forget to virtually put on your virtual (almost) Nova kit
Tomorrow, we ride

rjhamilton

Post by rjhamilton » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:50 am

@Duncan - let us know how you get on with this headset. I might get one
Tomorrow, we ride

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:51 am

Will do. Although it won't arrive until next week.

Edwin

Re: Sat 4/4/2020 - Zwift Nova Meet-Up + after party

Post by Edwin » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:47 pm

Thanks for organising again Dave. I look forward to seeing you all tomorrow. Good tips Simon, I'll get myself prepared well in advance to have the best shot of actually joining you all this time.