Nova Mini Tour weekend to Whitby - 15/16 Sept 2012

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

richp

Re: Nova Mini Tour weekend to Whitby - 15/16 Sept 2012

Post by richp » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Ok, my view on the matter. Are we happy posting day before or two days before to make sure it's landed before we set off? If we're off on best bikes, happy with security at YHA? If we are then I'm happy to post stuff across and post back as it will mean we can opt for a longer ride there and back and that is my aim, get some good miles in and have some laughs. Flogging vet the hills wit panniers could become wearing for me and i

richp

Post by richp » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:36 pm

.....sorry, tapped post too soon!! What is the cost of posting anyway there and back? Beer money lost!! I'm personally thinking finding best local, good beer, food and a lock in, perhaps a midnight swim in the harbour like old times at Majorca!!! I'm happy to go with what others want to do but my evening attire will be n more than a pair of borat g-strings like caswells 40th photo!, Perhaps a pre Whitby beer might help decide on route and logistics?

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:11 pm

£20 will get a 10kg parcel delivered the next working day, so we could send it Thursday to arrive in plenty of time. So including the return cost, if there were say 4 peoples kit in one parcel then it would be £10 each. If everyone wants to do it, then I could package all the gear up in one large parcel & it should work out a bit cheaper.We could meet for a beer next Wednesday to agree routes and leave your kit with me to post off??? Alternatively quite happy to take stuff with me if that's the consensus, but would prefer to be free of luggage to properly enjoy the hills!! Cheers, Paul

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:52 pm

What is everybody taking? I imagine my stuff wouldn't be much more than a kilo, or am I being hopelessly naive? If we post we could also post a big lock.

peteshep

Post by peteshep » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Hi Guys, I'm carrying my kit whatever.
If you have more than 7-8kg then it's panniers otherwise a light rucksack is fine, and really for one night what are you taking if you've more than 10kg of kit?
I appreciate that being a 'reasonably' regualr mtb'er I'm used to riding with Camelbaks, and also to doing tours with a light rucksack, but I do feel that as we are not racing to Whitby it should be fine to carry what gear is required, personal thoughts only mind. That said Sam's ideas of fines sounds good!!

What time are we leaving Harrogate? Meeting POW?

Looking forward to it.

Pete

peteshep

Post by peteshep » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Regarding locks, we probably want 3 between us. I'll take a decent cable and padlock, just need two other volunteers.

Duncan, a kilo is very optimistic, 4-5kg all in would be more like it, but that said you can go very light to around 2kg if taking no wet weather gear and basics only and having a base layer or top that can be used both on and off the bike. Basic rule is pack your bag with everything you want, pick it up to gauge the weight, then re-pack it with only what you need.

Pete

richp

Post by richp » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:37 pm

Ok, as i have had 6 cornish pasties lost in the post from an order i made online three weeks ago, i've decided that i am taking my own kit to be safe, plus i don't think i'll even start thinking about it until Friday night with the things i have to do this week. i am undecided however, depending on size of bag, whether it will be a small rucsac (best bike) or a pannier (winter bike)....the other and more fun option for all will be that we take no kit.....we arrive in whitby by say 4pm and go to the local charity shop and buy some dodgy clothes for a fancy dress evening in Whitby!! didn't we do that somewhere else, or was i dreaming that bit!!

I'm thinking of 10:30am POW meet, ride a couple of hours and have lunch then onwards and upwards over the moors to Whitby...will review route again to makesure we get some good hills in. Does that suit everyone?
cheers
rich.

simonkett

Post by simonkett » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Well I'm planning to travel pretty light & go on my best bike.... the weather forecast looks pretty good & there will be months ahead to plod around on my winter bike!

I'm happy to carry my stuff in my back pockets / saddlebag etc. Will probably wear my mountain bike shoes to avoid taking another set of shoes for the night.... I'm assuming we won't be eating anywhere too posh as I will be looking pretty scruffy.

Alternatively I'm well up for the raid on the charity shops... come on lets do it!!!!! :D

richp

Post by richp » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:39 pm

we can always make some togas out of the bed sheets at the YHA!!

simonkett

Post by simonkett » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Ha Ha Rich!

Think it might be a bit breezy in togas, but the more I think about the charity shop thing the keener I am.