Nova Mini Tour weekend to Whitby! 15/16 Sept 2012

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

richp

Nova Mini Tour weekend to Whitby! 15/16 Sept 2012

Post by richp » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Guys, from previous discussions there appears to be a concensus for a mini weekend cycling jaunt somewhere with an overnight stay, have a beer or two!?

I’m liking the Whitby idea personally (good idea Pete), YHA on the cliff top by the abbey as I recall, stroll down to the old harbour for fish/chips a few large beers and a fight on the quayside, awesome! If the drinking gets out of hand, I can always get the train home on the Sunday!!

http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/whitby
http://www.bing.com/local/default.aspx? ... &FORM=LARE

Provisional route, out across NY moors to Whitby, stay over at YHA and a more leisurely flatter day back over some of the Wolds, castle howard, Howardians and home, route is about 165miles in total, 80 miles per day with panniers/backpack, steady pace, plenty of coffee stops (especially the Sunday).

Probably wouldn’t have to set off at the crack of dawn on Saturday either, will allow for a few brownie points! The route needs tweaking to get the best climbs in and the views, i will work on it but just wanted a rough idea of distance and numbers.

http://connect.garmin.com/course/163024 ... RFug.email

I’m thinking of weekend the 15/16 Sept and hoping for an Indian summer? any takers? let me know so i can start looking at booking the YHA. Cost for YHA is about £20, plus spends, so weekend of exercise and beer for about £80.

This is aimed for all, the fast lads can always race the hills come back down and ride up with the rest of us, its about riding, chatting and getting to know each other and a few drinking games on the night!
Cheers.

Rick

Re: Nova Mini Tour weekend to Whitby! 15/16 Sept 2012

Post by Rick » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:34 am

Sounds like a great trip, Ive booked it in my dairy.
I shall be posting my drinking- overnight stuff, on to the YHA.
Rick.
Rick

Rick

Post by Rick » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:14 pm

sorry but I must pull out, as I had double booked myself for Sat 15th, I have a birthday bash ( cycling at the veladrome ) which missed be enterd in to my diary....Sorry.

Rick.
Rick

richp

Post by richp » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:24 pm

Guys,

from my earlier posting i have had a response from Franko, Andy P, Pete S, Duncan M, Big Mike, Simon K, Greg K and Mantis. I can't do any other date other than the 15/16th Sept due to birthdays/retirement bashes for in-laws etc, so this post is to find out who is still coming along and if anyone else needs to pull out before i make contact with Whitby YHA. Additionally, anyone else fancies it then let me know this week please.

Due to baby duties on Saturday mornings, earliest i could get away on the saturday will be circa 10am, although there may be a consensus for a lunchtime depart to get over to whitby for dinner? a few coffee stops earmarked on route and more on the return depeding on hang overs etc, so we can make the route up as we go along, Pete, you seem to have some good ideas so happy to hear your views on route choice, although looking at the attendee list its looking like another hill climbing groupetto!

Can you confirm you are still interested and i will book accommodation etc for all wishing to tag along.
cheers
rich.