Reliability 4

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

simonkett

Re: Reliability 4

Post by simonkett » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Missed the turning on the motorway, got lost, missed the start, decided to head home, got lost, discovered flask was leaking in my kit bag soaking all my kit with coffee, nearly ran out of petrol. 2 hours driving & no riding :cry:

Well done to those that got out - tough conditions out there!!

terribletim

Post by terribletim » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:21 pm

I am surprised you didn't meet Ed and I in the car park. Left Harrogate late , couldn't remember where it was so left Sherburn on the correct road thought we should have got there so turn round and went out the other way. then decided to look on the internet and got there for 09:20 after the group had left. Ummed and arred about what to do and finally left on the long route at 09:45 just as it started to rain again. Not sure what Chris Mawer and Mike were doing Chris said he was doing the short route with a bit extra but we passed them at Kearby 25 miles into the long route.

Back for 12:55 just before the rain recommenced. Credit to Greg for cycling out in that rain.

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:39 pm

I got there at 8:45, saw Greg and Falcon whizz past after a large group, realised that it was going to be just dribs and drabs starting when they felt like it, thought it was pointless, went home, won't be back.

gregkett

Post by gregkett » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:00 am

Hello chaps. I'm grateful for all the kudos on strava and quite a few have been keen to hear how my big day out went so I thought I'd put something on here to give you a flavour of it. Falcon and I agreed to meet at 7.20 in the dark, wind and rain at POW but he was running a bit late so by the time he arrived I'd decided we'd miss the fast boys starting so we headed down there at 'brisk pace'... 2 miles down the road he muttered something about his high heart rate and expressed surprise that I hadn't got any bottles on my bike... (They were still standing a my back door!) After I stopped swearing he very kindly gave me one of his bottles but I was a bit apprehensive about getting round on one bottle of water. I thought I would 'lend' a spare bottle from someone at the start but when we got there we didn't even sign on as there was a decent group of about 25 setting off and nobody in the car park so we latched on the back of that. Within 5 minutes the heavens had opened and we were all soaked. My hands froze solid so I couldn't eat and I was wondering what the hell I was doing there. Anyway the pace went up and the weather improved enough for me to slowly thaw out again and we became a group of about 10 by Weardley bank which then whittled down to 3 at the top of there and we just did the usual through and off thing with a decent tail wind most of the time from there. We were the first back but probably weren't the quickest round. It was a very staggered start which I think was what the organisers wanted plus the weather meant nobody hanging about so they just headed off as soon as they were ready. My plan went pear-shaped as I sat at the finish and saw nobody from Harrogate at all. Chris had sensibly peeled off for Harrogate half way round. So no lift back for me then. Set off feeling ok but by Tadcaster I'd started weaving all over the road so I stopped at the cafe for some welsh rarebit and another cup of tea which made the ride home manageable but headwind was tough a times. Back home by 2.30 utterly exhausted. All in all a grand day out. The only problem now is that I am actually tripping over the bags under my eyes and feel about 75! Bring on next Sunday - can't wait!

markQ

Post by markQ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:32 am

Need to retract my comment on Strava. Thought it had been real hardcore. A coffee stop, c'mon ;)

frosty

Post by frosty » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Is anyone riding out to North Rigton this weekend, meeting at POW?

My legs are sore, and my chest is used to 20 degrees. I hope both rectify themselves by sunday, preferably by the surrounding air temperature rising a bit.

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:08 pm

Half 8 at POW?

Mantis

Post by Mantis » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:58 pm

See you at the top of Almsford Ave as you come past, presumably 8.40ish.

duncan
Site Admin

Post by duncan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:06 pm

Right-ho, wait for us the and vice verse.

simonkett

Post by simonkett » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:48 pm

I thought it doesn't start till 9.30?