Reliability 4

Anyone participating in a club ride, whether a club member or not, must abide by the Highway Code, ride responsibility, sensibly and respect other road users at all times. Please remember your behaviour on the bike reflects on the club, even if other road users don't share the same courtesy to you.

Moderator: duncan

frosty

Re: Reliability 4

Post by frosty » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:29 pm

big boom, ow... emotions.

AlisonSarmiento

Post by AlisonSarmiento » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:54 pm

It seems that most of us set off early fearing either frost bite or getting spectacularly dropped on the first hill, or in my case both!

Corrine, Dylan and I set off together and passed a group of riders lurking in the hedgerow at Kirkby Overblow who had obviously had the same idea and after a few minutes they caught up with us and we formed the group that Sam and Rich later caught. After Sam and Rich joined the group the pace seemed to pick up...and pick up...and pick up, Sam informed me at one point that we were doing 24mph up the A168, it was all I could do to nod and keep pedaling. By the time we reached Boroughbridge I was having to work very hard to stay with the pace and when we hit the head wind on the Skelton Road I knew it was game over for me. Corrine very kindly stayed back with me and gave me a tow as I limped towards Ripon but I could feel the life force draining from my legs as every second passed and the temptation to head home was overwhelming so we agreed to part ways there, with me feeling very guilty for her losing her place with the group on my account. I decided I needed hot tea and cake to fuel the journey home but hunted in vain for a tea shop that was open and eventually gave up, soft-pedaling all the way home.

I later heard that Dylan managed to stay with the group for quite a while so he should feel very proud of himself. For a rider who is relatively new to road cycling he had a fantastic ride and provided a very solid wheel to follow in the group.

Thank you to Margaret and Vaughan for organising the ride on a less than beautiful day!

DaveWrightson

Post by DaveWrightson » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:27 pm

I got to Leeds road roundabout about 9:20 but saw loads of small groups going up the bypass so assumed I'd missed the start. Headed up there and caught up with Chris Mawer. We rode together pretty much the whole route, and were passed by the main group on the A168 - managed to hold on for a few miles but was well into the red. Thanks to Chris for dropping back and getting me through that section as I was bloody knackered! carried on together until the 20 mile Pennypot lane stretch (well, thats what it felt like!) when I completely ran out of energy and finished 5 or 10 mins behind Chris. Should have taken a 2nd bottle I think.

A good workout for sure. It's the first ride over 50 miles I've done in over 6 months, with average HR about 92% - even Strava said it was Epic!

looking forward to the Airedale one on sunday...hopefully in slightly calmer conditions!

simonkett

Post by simonkett » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:15 pm

Another great edition of the Harrogate Nova reliability trial this year!

Arrived a bit too early & got rather cold waiting to start, but got to chat with Jonny Brownlee (triathlon world champion & Olympic silver medalist) & Scott Thwaites (Netapp Endura - who was racing with Alberto Contador in Argentina last week!) Both nice guys & really down to earth.

Must have been around 80 starters?

After a fairly brisk start things settled down until there was a touch of wheels on the Skelton road which brought down around 10 rider - Greg being one of them. We all stopped & as far as I know everyone was OK bar a few cuts & bruises.

The pace hotted up as usual coming out of Ripon & then became excruciating on the Fountains climb :o

Somehow I managed to cling on & found myself in a group of around 8 going up Pennypot. The headwind was pretty tough but managed to assist Greg & one of the Crosstrax guys in pulling the group along. Greg then pushed on past the Sun Inn making sure that he was first back for the 25th year running! :lol:

Thanks to Vaughan & Margaret for organising & standing outside in the wind & the cold & also all those who provided the excellent grub at Fewston :D