Warm weather and fast times.

Event number 15 in the Beech House Dental Practice Time Trial League was scheduled to be the 9-mile loop route from Milby to Cundall, Norton-le-Clay and back. Not for the first time in 2022, a last-minute course change was required due to roadworks on the course. The organisers quickly replanned and decided on the 15 mile out-and-back course from Boroughbridge to Walshford roundabout and back. Riders had ridden the same course in May and July, so it was an opportunity see if they had improved through the season. The weather was very warm at around 28 degrees Celsius with a light breeze from the south-west so riders would have a bit of a push on the return leg. Having expected an “easy” ride on the 9-mile course, riders would now have to dig deep on the longer course in Mediterranean conditions. 15 riders signed on from Harrogate Nova and Moonglu but only 13 started due to mechanical issues. Ben Pease, the speed-machine from Moonglu was back racing after a few months off due to a crash injury. Opting for a road bike, this didn’t stop Ben from taking the win in a cracking time of 32:51 including breaking the senior road-bike record. Next fastest rider was Neil Fearn (Nova) in 34:40, breaking the vet road-bike record. In third place was Liam Evans (Nova) in 35:53 on a TT bike with Mark Smith (Nova) in 4th in 36:21 on a road bike. In 5th place was Joshua Fuller (Nova) in 36:46 and Mark Turnock (Nova) was 6th in 37:17. It was good to see Chris Mawer back for his first TT after a 3-year hiatus. Unfortunately, Walter Busuttil had a puncture on the return leg so was a DNF. As everyone digested their times after the event, most agreed that despite the heat, the conditions had helped them achieve fast times/PBs. Thanks go to Margaret and Vaughan Carswell for running the league, Liam Evans who set up signage on course, Mike Hudson for timekeeping and Robyn McLean for number taking. Next week’s event is the penultimate time trial, the 1-mile hill climb up Darley Head – a different kind of event – all over in a few minutes but tough, nonetheless. Pictured is Walter Busuttil walking to meet photographer Roger Clarke for a lift back to the start. Thankfully he didn’t have too far to walk.